Chesterfield District Chapter
South Carolina Genealogical Society
Chesterfield District Chapter, S.C.G.S.
P.O. Box 167 Chesterfield, South Carolina 29709
Webmasters Note: The information provided below was originally published on the website
www.pigggenealogy.com that can now be found on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
This information was used with permission of Mr. James Pigg.
Mt. Croghan was named after a French officer of the
Revolutionary War, Major Croan. On his way to Virginia, after the
Battle of Camden, he and his men camped on the hill overlooking the
present town, where the Methodist Church is now.
Robert Parton and Gustavieus Hendricks were two of the first
in the area to receive land grants. Both later sold their land to Joel
Meadows (Meadors). By 1809, Mt. Croghan was a voting precinct and had
its on post office. After the death of Joel, his widow married Samuel
Shelby, who sold the land to James Fields in 1822. The next year he in
turn sold the land to Judge Josiah Evans of Society Hill. Turner Bryan
bought the land next and by 1834, had built a blacksmith shop, a store,
and the School House on Spring Branch. In 1836, The Elizabeth Academy
was built across from Elizabeth Baptist Church, which was founded in
1819. The academy was considered a prestigious High School which taught
Latin, Violin, History, Geography, the three R's among other subjects.
This property is north of the current town site on the Maysville Road.
The land, except for the 10 acres that the blacksmith shop and store
were on, then passed to Turner's son-in-law, Francis Johnson, who died
On October 3, 1911, J.C. Burch, T.M. Moore, C.F. Taylor, J.O.
Taylor, J.H. Timmons, N.T. Rivers, J.S. Funderburk, W.A. Rivers, and
J.N. Ratliff , submitted the paperwork to have the town of Mt. Croghan
incorporated, which was approved by the Secretary of State, R.M. McCown
on May 28, 1914. At that time, the stated population was 150.
Also, the buildings that are left in Mt. Croghan face Highway 9 as it is today. The older portion of town faced the road behind the service station, which is appropriately named Old Lancaster Highway. The brick bank and other buildings are no longer there.